Thursday, March 20, 2008

Never a dull moment.


Category: Life

Took yesterday off from school so I could head into Seoul with Meagon to get a look at the Van Gogh exhibition at the Museum of Art. Apparently, so did everyone else in this country because it was PACKED. Don't these people have jobs? Had to wait in a long curvy line and was seriously unimpressed by the selection of paintings and sketches that they had on display. I guess I just got way too excited about it so I was disappointed when I got there. I've been to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. I just wanted to get a peek at some of his work that lives other places. Museums are one of the great joys in my life. I love em. I can spend hours wandering around looking at stuff. Not so yesterday. It was hot and crowded and not worth the trip. But fear not, the whole day was not a bust.
Had dinner at Outback. Western food always puts a silver lining on any dark cloud of a day. The subway on the way home was crowded so I got to sit down and Meagon had to stand. As soon as the seat next to me opened a wiry little Korean woman all but formed tackled Meagon to make sure she got the seat. She had to see the look I was giving her but she didn't care. I'm growing used to being stared at. I still don't like it, but I'm getting used to it. Well, this woman is so close she's touching me and doesn't even try to be subtle about giving me the once over. She mumbles something in Korean with the word "America" thrown in there so I just assume she's asking if I'm from America. I say Yes, because I am. Apparently, that wasn't what she was asking because she asked me the same question about 10 more times even though my answer was the same and I even told her I didn't know (in Korean).
I just started ignoring her until she started making this horrible slurping gurgling sound right in my ear. I don't know what was going on in her mouth. Sounded like she was trying to keep her false teeth or something. There's only so much I can take and since Meagon had scored herself a seat a little ways away from me I started digging in my bag for my iPod. I don't even get it in my ear before she starts up with her American crap again and takes my iPod out of my hand. By now I've figured if you can't beat em, join em so I just gave her the earphones and let her soak up a little Ben Harper. At least it would shut her up and get her off my back. I guess she liked ol' Ben because she wasn't making any moves to give my iPod back.
I wanted some photographic evidence of the crazy old Korean ajuma with funky hair and painted on make up sitting thisclose to me listening to my iPod. Dug around in my bag for my camera and before I could get the lens cap off, the heifer took it too. She looked at about 300 of my pictures all the while muttering about America. I guess she'd decided we were friends because here she sat all squished up next to me, listening to my tunes, and looking through my camera.
I've been wishing that Koreans were a little friendlier. Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it times 10 on a subway.
Ended up back in Gimpo at a bar called the Hudson and had drinks with one American, two South Africans, and two Koreans. Everyone spoke at least two languages and I'm sure anyone listening got more than they bargained for once we all got drunk. There was Korean, English, Spanish, and Afrikaans flying around. Never a dull moment I tell ya. Can't beat Van Gogh, Outback, being accosted on the subway, and having an international cocktail hour.

No comments: