Monday, March 7, 2011

We've got bananas!!!

       I've been a lazy bum about keeping up with this blog business. I would say "I'm sorry." but I always tell my kids "Don't be sorry, be better." In keeping with my own advice, I'll just spare you the apology and skip straight to the "be better" portion of the program.

    My roommate and I moved (well, got moved...but that's a whole other story) into a new house in October. There are trees in our yard that we thought were banana. Having never actually, knowingly seen a banana tree in real life, this was just a guess on my part. The months have come and gone and we've seen not a trace of fruit which led me to believe that maybe they weren't banana trees or they were too young to produce fruit. While Skyping with my mom today, I was showing her my yard from my bedroom window when low and behold, I spotted a bunch of bananas! Walked outside later to find that two of our trees have fruit on them. I don't have the first idea about when they'll be ready for picking or if they're even really bananas. Plantains looks exactly the same to me and plantains are EVERYwhere here. Who knows what they really are?? For now, I'm just so stinking excited to have anything growing in my yard that we'll figure the rest out later. I aspire to garden one day and this is as close as I'm getting for a while. The banana/plantains and we've got come cilantro growing be the gate. It'll work for now!

No comments: