Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ahh...Texas

Ahhh...Texas. Bootlegged from someone else’s page:)
Current mood: nostalgic
Category: Life

I am Texas. I am the children who run through fields of bluebonnets. I am the smell of spring and the warmth of summer. I am the snow in the panhandle and the heat waves of the coast. I am the beaches and the hill country.

I am a "howdy" and a "hey ya'll." I'm a warm smile, a firm handshake, and a big hug even for strangers. I am Texas. I am an honest answer while looking you in the eye. No beating around the bush, I'll tell it like it is.

I'm the Guadalupe, the Astrodome, and Greune Hall. I'm a sweet tea with lunch and a cold beer with dinner. I'm Shinerbock and Blue Bell.

Texas women are strong but beautiful. Many have said, "If you want to find angels, go to Texas because the women there are the prettiest women you will ever see." The women are big floppy hats and baseball hats. I am a pair of new high heels or old pair of boots. I am the ritz of Dallas and the comfort of Ft. Worth. I am home.

A Texan is not only a breed but also a character, not simply where we are from. The boys are gentlemen whether they are city boys or small town kids. The women are ladies whether they were raised in an loft or on a farm.

People never ask where I am from because they can tell. The smile, the warmth, and the, "Nice to meet ya'll," gives us away. I am Texas. The most recognizable state in the US. Ask a foreigner to point out Texas on a map, they can do it.

I am Texas and have always known I was different. You can see it when you look at our past and our future. You can see it when you look at us. An indescribable pride takes over when we talk about our home, the Lone Star State.

I am Texas. I am the 30 year old couple who never leaves because we know we have all we need in our dear state. My children know not only the Pledge of Allegiance but also the Pledge to the Texas flag. They might not understand what the Lone Star represents but they wave the flag proudly at city parades and county fairs.

I am the 70 year old man whose face is leather and his hands are rough. The ranch work was hard. But he'd kill the person who tried to take his blood, sweat, and tears away from him. He hopes that no one sees the tears well up in his eye when some one sings, "The Yellow Rose of Texas," or "The Eyes of Texas are Upon You." We are patriots. Not only of the U.S.A but also of our state.

We are the Astros, the Rangers, the Cowboys, the Texans, the Spurs, Rockets, and Mavs. Regardless of the city, they are all in the end, a Texas team and despite rivalries of burnt orange or maroon, we would rather a Texas team win than an outsider. I am a hatred for the Yankees, Cardinals, and the Sooners.

I am the two step, the half step, and twirling pretty girls around the dance floor. I am Willie, Waylon, Jerry Jeff, Robert Earl, and Pat.

We are family. We are Texas. Texas is much more than a place of birth. It is a frame of mind. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and will make you the person you are.

No words can describe what this feels like, but you know because you have experienced it. And if you haven't, you wish that you could.

I am a Texas smile from a pretty girl wearing pearls and cute sandals. I am a wink from a man wearing pearl snaps. I can pull off a business suit like a New Yorker but only Texans can wear Levis, Wranglers and cowboy hats.

It is knowing that year after year, no matter how things change in our hectic lives, we can always sit on the front porch, rocking, and wave as the neighbors walk by.

I am Texas. It is the place we came from. My home. Over time it will probably look a little different and there will be new people to met. But that's ok. You'll welcome them just like you welcomed the others.

Things will change. But you will still love it as much as you always have, because Texas is as much apart of your arms and your legs and the Lone Star pride that runs through your veins.

And, finally, it is the feeling you have right now because you know what you've read is true. The feelings of pride, love, and strength are growinginside of you…but then again they never really go away, do they?

No comments: